REPORTS TO: Discipleship Leader for Children and Youth
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: To provide reliable, safe, and nurturing care for children ages 0-4
on Sunday mornings and during special events.
- Responsible for providing age-appropriate care including: feeding, changing diapers, escorting
to the bathroom, maintaining a safe environment, putting children down for naps, holding, or
cheerfully interacting with children through games, stories, play, and prayer.
- Welcome new parents and families, obtain care information for children, and provide parents
with information on the nursery, pick up process, emergency procedure, etc.
- Ensure the safety of the children and communicate with the Discipleship Leader for Children
and Youth (DLCY) on safety needs, safety incidents during services, etc.
- Model Christian discipleship during Sunday School and Worship via provided lessons or stories.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary environment while children are present, including personal
cleanliness, to decrease the spread of germs. Follow all posted COVID safety procedures.
- Arrive 15 minutes before service times and stay until the children are secured with a responsible
adult named on the child’s registration form. Standard Sunday hours are 8:15am – 11:15am.
- Be polite, friendly, and courteous to all children, parents, and volunteers.
- Straighten the room and clean any toys/beds before leaving, returning it to weekly standard
set by DLCY.
- Communicate in advance, by phone, to the DLCY: 1) any planned absences with an advance
two week notice, or 2) any unplanned absences at least two hours prior to the shift.
- Report to the DLCY any issues which are hindering the carrying out of duties or responsibilities.
- Other duties as determined and assigned by the Discipleship Leader for Children and Youth,
Senior Pastor, or SPRC.
- Experience caring for children ages 0-4 years with the ability to be flexible and work with a
variety of personalities.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Must follow the church’s Safe Sanctuary policy, including updating training every 3 years and a
current background check every 5 years.
- Consistent ability to arrive to work on time.
- A love for Christ and a passion for discipling children.
Please send resume and cover letter to Zach@foresthillsumc.org to apply.
Zach Griggs, Discipleship Leader for Children and Youth
Forest Hills UMC, 1250 Old Hickory Blvd, Brentwood, TN 37027
615-373-3131 ext. 14